Monday, May 31, 2010

Dairy-free Lavender Vanilla Shake
and a Contest Winner!

This morning's post is short and sweet. Heartiest congratulations to Helen, who won a copy of Donna Klein's wonderful book, Supermarket Vegan. I know you're going to love it! Thanks to everyone who entered the contest.

In pursuit of all things lavender, I came across a recipe for honey-vanilla lavender milkshakes. My veganized version uses agave in place of honey and So Delicious Creamy Vanilla ice cream.

 
The sprigs of Spanish lavender pictured above were snipped from my garden to beautify this photo. They are not what I used to make lavender-infused agave.

I recommend getting the best culinary lavender you can get your hands on. It makes all the difference in the world. These creamy shakes will make a delicious addition to all of your summer cookouts. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup agave nectar + 2 Tbs water
3 heaping Tbs culinary lavender flowers
8 scoops So Delicious Creamy Vanilla ice cream, softened for about 10 minutes until slightly melty at the edges
1/2 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage (I used Vanilla)
1 very ripe banana
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Do ahead: Mix the agave, water, and lavender flowers in a small saucepan over medium heat, until the agave is liquified, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for about an hour. Strain the mixture into a small bowl or jar, pressing the lavender, to release all of the liquid. Cover and set aside at room temperature, until ready to use. (Up to five days.)

When ready to prepare shakes, place ice cream, milk, banana, lavender, and vanilla in a blender. Blend on low, and gradually increase to medium speed until blended thick and creamy. Pour into two tall glasses and serve.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it!

Helen said...

Oh, yay! I can't believe I won! Thank you!

I'm a lavender girl, too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds simple and delicious.

Anonymous said...

Lavender? Vanilla? YUM!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, this sounds fantastic!

jasmine said...

I'll be making this for sure!

Anonymous said...

This sounds heavenly! Cute firefly glass, too!

Graygrrrl said...

I always have a problem finding lavender blossoms- where do you find yours?

Vegiegail said...

I buy mine from Purple Haze Lavender and Mountain Rose Herbs.

http://phlavender.stores.yahoo.net/cullav.html

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Lavender+Flowers

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it
up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Many thanks
My weblog ... clinical professor